What is a Verified Credit?
- Simply put, a Verified Credit is a credit awarded once a student passes the SOL and both semesters for the course the SOL pertained to. For example, the student takes Biology and successfully passes 1st and 2nd semester. In May, he or she will take the EOC(End of Course) Biology SOL. If that student attains a scaled score of at least a 400, he or she will be awarded one Verified Credit.
How many Verified Credits must a student earn to graduate from High School?
**Students need 6 Verified Credits to graduate with a Standard Diploma. Students going for their Advanced Diploma must earn 9 Verified Credits. Click onto the following link, Graduation Requirements, for more information.
| How Many|| Core Subject|| Description|
| 2|| English ||1 Reading SOL, 1 Writing SOL(Taken in the 10th Grade year)|
| 1|| Math||Algebra 1 or Geometry or Algebra 2|
| 1|| Social Studies||World Hx 1 or World Hx 2 or VA/US Hx|
| 1|| Science||Earth Sc or Biology or Chemistry |
| 1|| Student Selected ||1 additional Math or Social Studies or Science SOL|
Where do I go to get my student the extra help they need to pass their SOL's?
- Students can take a SOL for any subject they have taken and in the even they are unsuccessful in their first attempt, students can retake that SOL during the following testing sessions offered throughout the school year and during the Summer. Please refer to the following link for the HCS SOL Testing Schedule.
- The VDOE(Virginia Department of Education) Releases past SOL tests so that students can download and use them as a Study Guide. These Released SOL Tests come with an answer key enabling the student to know where they need to focus their efforts pertaining to preparing for the upcoming testing window. For the most up to date information pertaining to the Released tests please click onto the following link, SOL RELEASED TESTS.
- Other helpful websites for SOL preparation and practice are:
What if I just transferred into Virginia or coming from a private school/home school environment, would I still need 6 verified credits to graduate High School?
- The answer corresponds directly with the grade level of the student when they transferred to a Virginia Public School either from out of State or from a private school/home school environment. Please refer to the following link on the VDOE website that answers this very question, INFORMATION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS.